Car in California missing teen case found 70 miles northeast of Boise
"Fortunately, it's summer and not winter, and fortunately they're in an area with water," Terry said. "Just a couple weeks ago there was somebody who was lost while climbing in that area, probably within 10 miles of where he is now."
Rescue crews were able to locate the climber and bring him to safety — but that search was simplified by the fact that the climber stayed in one place and waited for help, he said.
"There's the key. If he doesn't want to be found, he just drops off the side of the trail," Terry said. "It would be very easy if you want to get lost. But unless he was really planning some back country type thing, he may not have carried a lot of food. And while there's water, it's suspect — it has giardia and stuff in it. Any knowledgeable backpacker would carry a water filtration system with them."
That's also assuming DiMaggio stayed within the wilderness area. Dearden said officials don't know if DiMaggio had rafting equipment available or if he could have left the wilderness by hiking out another trailhead. No cars have been reported stolen or missing in the area, but some rafters and campers may leave a vehicle parked for a week or more, so a stolen vehicle wouldn't necessarily be discovered right away.
Police have set up check points in the area where the car was found and near other nearby trailheads.
Law enforcement officials in San Diego have noted that DiMaggio bought camping gear a few weeks ago.
DiMaggio was close to the family. Brett Anderson has described him as a best friend and said his children thought of him as an uncle.
Authorities have said DiMaggio had an "unusual infatuation" with the 16-year-old, although the father said he never saw any strange behavior. If he had, he said, "we would have quashed that relationship in an instant."
Spagat reported from San Diego. AP writers Bob Jablon and John Antczak contributed to this report from Los Angeles. AP writer Todd Dvorak contributed from Boise.
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- How to help Nepal earthquake victims
- Mitt Romney to Jacksonville University...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 58
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 31
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 30
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 22
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 15
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 13