Car in California missing teen case found 70 miles northeast of Boise
"Fortunately, it's summer and not winter, and fortunately they're in an area with water," Terry said. "Just a couple weeks ago there was somebody who was lost while climbing in that area, probably within 10 miles of where he is now."
Rescue crews were able to locate the climber and bring him to safety — but that search was simplified by the fact that the climber stayed in one place and waited for help, he said.
"There's the key. If he doesn't want to be found, he just drops off the side of the trail," Terry said. "It would be very easy if you want to get lost. But unless he was really planning some back country type thing, he may not have carried a lot of food. And while there's water, it's suspect — it has giardia and stuff in it. Any knowledgeable backpacker would carry a water filtration system with them."
That's also assuming DiMaggio stayed within the wilderness area. Dearden said officials don't know if DiMaggio had rafting equipment available or if he could have left the wilderness by hiking out another trailhead. No cars have been reported stolen or missing in the area, but some rafters and campers may leave a vehicle parked for a week or more, so a stolen vehicle wouldn't necessarily be discovered right away.
Police have set up check points in the area where the car was found and near other nearby trailheads.
Law enforcement officials in San Diego have noted that DiMaggio bought camping gear a few weeks ago.
DiMaggio was close to the family. Brett Anderson has described him as a best friend and said his children thought of him as an uncle.
Authorities have said DiMaggio had an "unusual infatuation" with the 16-year-old, although the father said he never saw any strange behavior. If he had, he said, "we would have quashed that relationship in an instant."
Spagat reported from San Diego. AP writers Bob Jablon and John Antczak contributed to this report from Los Angeles. AP writer Todd Dvorak contributed from Boise.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Witness: More Oklahoma bombing videos may exist
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 45
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 26
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 23
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 19
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 14