Even if these newbie mavericks were successful in their defunding effort, it would only be a temporary "win," since funding comes up annually. Moreover, such a temporary victory would give Democrats a far-reaching advantage. Thereafter, responsibility for any dissatisfaction with the health care system would shift to the GOP.
Alternatively, the old maverick could prevail.
Dropping from his cockpit, the flight-suited McCain strides toward the microphone, pausing briefly to high-five wingman Lindsey Graham and crew member Kelly (Ayotte, not McGillis), and announces: "We passed a bipartisan budget today that ends sequestration, includes significant spending cuts and a tax overhaul. Eleven million illegal immigrants have been invited to become legal residents and begin a rigorous path toward citizenship. We have accepted Disney World's offer to revamp the nation's infrastructure and mass transportation systems. With the president's blessing, Switzerland has agreed to fix Obamacare. That's it. Enjoy the rest of your summer."
In our dreams.
Kathleen Parker's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Nelson Mandela left legacy of freedom and faith
- In our opinion: Letting Afghanistan revert to...
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15