Even if these newbie mavericks were successful in their defunding effort, it would only be a temporary "win," since funding comes up annually. Moreover, such a temporary victory would give Democrats a far-reaching advantage. Thereafter, responsibility for any dissatisfaction with the health care system would shift to the GOP.
Alternatively, the old maverick could prevail.
Dropping from his cockpit, the flight-suited McCain strides toward the microphone, pausing briefly to high-five wingman Lindsey Graham and crew member Kelly (Ayotte, not McGillis), and announces: "We passed a bipartisan budget today that ends sequestration, includes significant spending cuts and a tax overhaul. Eleven million illegal immigrants have been invited to become legal residents and begin a rigorous path toward citizenship. We have accepted Disney World's offer to revamp the nation's infrastructure and mass transportation systems. With the president's blessing, Switzerland has agreed to fix Obamacare. That's it. Enjoy the rest of your summer."
In our dreams.
Kathleen Parker's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of bullying
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Letter: Amnesty for who?
- In our opinion: FDA must consider regulating...
- Brad Stine: Words created everything, so we...
- Letter: Medicare Advantage costs
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 43
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 27
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26