Previous to this year, my annual property tax included the cost of residential trash service. This year, our local government changed the trash service from a tax to a fee. The significance of which removes the cost of trash service from a tax-deductable item to a nontaxable fee which raises my federal and state income taxes.
As I don't expect to see any reduction in my property taxes, I am pretty certain that I will still pay the same or more in property tax.
On top of this, the trash service company sent bills at the start of the year for the total payment of the trash service for the entire year. Of course, they did not offer to pay any interest on the advanced money.
On further investigation, I spoke to a nice lady at the phone number on the bill and she confirmed that if I did not pay the bill, it would be added to my tax bill at the end of this year — but it still would be nontaxable.
So while we give tax-exempt status to many things including political groups, there will no longer be tax exemption for complying with the law.
Salt Lake City
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 54
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 46
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 36