Previous to this year, my annual property tax included the cost of residential trash service. This year, our local government changed the trash service from a tax to a fee. The significance of which removes the cost of trash service from a tax-deductable item to a nontaxable fee which raises my federal and state income taxes.
As I don't expect to see any reduction in my property taxes, I am pretty certain that I will still pay the same or more in property tax.
On top of this, the trash service company sent bills at the start of the year for the total payment of the trash service for the entire year. Of course, they did not offer to pay any interest on the advanced money.
On further investigation, I spoke to a nice lady at the phone number on the bill and she confirmed that if I did not pay the bill, it would be added to my tax bill at the end of this year — but it still would be nontaxable.
So while we give tax-exempt status to many things including political groups, there will no longer be tax exemption for complying with the law.
Salt Lake City
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- My view: We deserve better than current...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Drew Clark: The right to be forgiven, not...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 64
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28
- Letter: Police not the problem 24
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 22
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move... 20