This ordinary, unremarkable love walks slowly every day alongside. One step, one day, one T-ball practice at a time.
One permission slip signed, one Lunchable, one school play, one art project, one Lego box, one more nighttime cup of water delivered at a time.
This ordinary love that wakes up with bad breath and crease marks on its cheeks and is the daily bread that sustains across time zones and countries and cultures and the exhaustion of trying to figure out how to be a parent and a grown-up and somebody's forever.
And this is a love life — to live life each small, sometimes unbearably tedious moment — together.
To trip over old jokes and misunderstandings. To catch our runaway tongues and tempers and gift them into the hands of the person who was gifted to us.
He lets me warm my ice cold feet between his legs and the covers at night.
He has never run through an airport for me.
This is love with the lights on and eyes wide open. This is the brave love, the scared love, the sacred boring, the holy ordinary over sinks of dirty dishes and that one cupboard in the kitchen with the broken hinge.
A child of South Africa, Lisa-Jo grew up on Karoo dust, purple Jacaranda trees, and the stories of Zululand. While she came to the States for college and a law degree she stayed for the boy from Michigan who became her husband. They make their home with their three kids under the cherry blossoms just outside Washington, D.C., returning to the southern hemisphere whenever the craving for biltong and family gets too bad. She shares her every day life lived in between countries and kids at LisaJoBaker.com. And she gives away her eBook — "The Cheerleader for Tired Moms" — to anyone who subscribes to her blog. Click here and enter your email in the form on her side bar to receive it.
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- Families celebrate Christmas traditions as...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Food Storage Essentials: What about storing...
- Holiday video game guide: Something for...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 9
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6