BYU football: BYU receives a commitment from Syracuse defensive back Kavika Fonua
SYRACUSE — BYU's first practice session of the fall included some big recruiting news for the program. Syracuse High defensive back prospect Kavika Fonua visited the BYU practice with his family and informed coaches that he was committed to sign with them come February.
Fonua is a 6-foot, 200 pound defensive back prospect who gained interest this summer after some standout performances at national camps and combines. The Syracuse product recorded consistent sub-4.5 40 times and was met with offers from BYU and from Utah over the summer.
"I really love everything about the school and the program," Fonua said shortly after BYU offered. "I'm LDS and I have definite plans to serve a mission, so I fit in well there and I'd love the opportunity to play for a program like BYU. I love the coaches."
Fonua will be a senior this year and has plans to serve a mission for the LDS church before enrolling at BYU.
When he returns, he should prove a credit to BYU's program.
"He's a very hard worker and completely dedicated to getting better as a player," said Syracuse coach Russ Jones. "It's a thrill for me as a coach whenever one of my players gets an opportunity to play for a program like BYU and he'll do outstanding there. He's the type of kid who does anything you ask of him."
Fonua will likely play safety while at BYU, but could play any number of positions according to Jones.
"He could play running back, corner, safety and even linebacker at the next level," Jones said. "He's made himself into a really great player and I think he'll only continue working and make himself into an outstanding college player."
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24