BYU football: BYU receives a commitment from Syracuse defensive back Kavika Fonua
SYRACUSE — BYU's first practice session of the fall included some big recruiting news for the program. Syracuse High defensive back prospect Kavika Fonua visited the BYU practice with his family and informed coaches that he was committed to sign with them come February.
Fonua is a 6-foot, 200 pound defensive back prospect who gained interest this summer after some standout performances at national camps and combines. The Syracuse product recorded consistent sub-4.5 40 times and was met with offers from BYU and from Utah over the summer.
"I really love everything about the school and the program," Fonua said shortly after BYU offered. "I'm LDS and I have definite plans to serve a mission, so I fit in well there and I'd love the opportunity to play for a program like BYU. I love the coaches."
Fonua will be a senior this year and has plans to serve a mission for the LDS church before enrolling at BYU.
When he returns, he should prove a credit to BYU's program.
"He's a very hard worker and completely dedicated to getting better as a player," said Syracuse coach Russ Jones. "It's a thrill for me as a coach whenever one of my players gets an opportunity to play for a program like BYU and he'll do outstanding there. He's the type of kid who does anything you ask of him."
Fonua will likely play safety while at BYU, but could play any number of positions according to Jones.
"He could play running back, corner, safety and even linebacker at the next level," Jones said. "He's made himself into a really great player and I think he'll only continue working and make himself into an outstanding college player."
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- Young players will have the chance to make an...
- Morning links: Trevor Booker calls Quin...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 139
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 85
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 37
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32