BYU football: BYU receives a commitment from Syracuse defensive back Kavika Fonua
SYRACUSE — BYU's first practice session of the fall included some big recruiting news for the program. Syracuse High defensive back prospect Kavika Fonua visited the BYU practice with his family and informed coaches that he was committed to sign with them come February.
Fonua is a 6-foot, 200 pound defensive back prospect who gained interest this summer after some standout performances at national camps and combines. The Syracuse product recorded consistent sub-4.5 40 times and was met with offers from BYU and from Utah over the summer.
"I really love everything about the school and the program," Fonua said shortly after BYU offered. "I'm LDS and I have definite plans to serve a mission, so I fit in well there and I'd love the opportunity to play for a program like BYU. I love the coaches."
Fonua will be a senior this year and has plans to serve a mission for the LDS church before enrolling at BYU.
When he returns, he should prove a credit to BYU's program.
"He's a very hard worker and completely dedicated to getting better as a player," said Syracuse coach Russ Jones. "It's a thrill for me as a coach whenever one of my players gets an opportunity to play for a program like BYU and he'll do outstanding there. He's the type of kid who does anything you ask of him."
Fonua will likely play safety while at BYU, but could play any number of positions according to Jones.
"He could play running back, corner, safety and even linebacker at the next level," Jones said. "He's made himself into a really great player and I think he'll only continue working and make himself into an outstanding college player."
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Defensive effort, accountability among Utah...
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 285
- Is independence a viable option for... 123
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 27
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 17
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 13