Amid calls by Russian lawmakers to ban gays from government jobs, force them to undergo medical treatment and even exile, the government last month unanimously passed a broad, subjective law stopping "homosexual propaganda."
Acknowledge that you're gay or hold hands with someone of the same sex? You'll be arrested and slapped with a $16,000 fine. When a 22-year-old man was found murdered after having been beaten with a concrete block and set on fire, LGBT people protested. Eastern Orthodox Christians hurled eggs and rocks at these protestors. A priest said, "Until this scum gets off of Russian land, I fully share the views of those who are trying to purge it."
Words matter — they lead to action. Please think deeply about the implications of all dangerous rhetoric.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- On second thought
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 48
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 28
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 24