Amid calls by Russian lawmakers to ban gays from government jobs, force them to undergo medical treatment and even exile, the government last month unanimously passed a broad, subjective law stopping "homosexual propaganda."
Acknowledge that you're gay or hold hands with someone of the same sex? You'll be arrested and slapped with a $16,000 fine. When a 22-year-old man was found murdered after having been beaten with a concrete block and set on fire, LGBT people protested. Eastern Orthodox Christians hurled eggs and rocks at these protestors. A priest said, "Until this scum gets off of Russian land, I fully share the views of those who are trying to purge it."
Words matter — they lead to action. Please think deeply about the implications of all dangerous rhetoric.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 23