Amid calls by Russian lawmakers to ban gays from government jobs, force them to undergo medical treatment and even exile, the government last month unanimously passed a broad, subjective law stopping "homosexual propaganda."
Acknowledge that you're gay or hold hands with someone of the same sex? You'll be arrested and slapped with a $16,000 fine. When a 22-year-old man was found murdered after having been beaten with a concrete block and set on fire, LGBT people protested. Eastern Orthodox Christians hurled eggs and rocks at these protestors. A priest said, "Until this scum gets off of Russian land, I fully share the views of those who are trying to purge it."
Words matter — they lead to action. Please think deeply about the implications of all dangerous rhetoric.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 40
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 32
- Letter: American billionaires 32
- President should not act without... 28