Amid calls by Russian lawmakers to ban gays from government jobs, force them to undergo medical treatment and even exile, the government last month unanimously passed a broad, subjective law stopping "homosexual propaganda."
Acknowledge that you're gay or hold hands with someone of the same sex? You'll be arrested and slapped with a $16,000 fine. When a 22-year-old man was found murdered after having been beaten with a concrete block and set on fire, LGBT people protested. Eastern Orthodox Christians hurled eggs and rocks at these protestors. A priest said, "Until this scum gets off of Russian land, I fully share the views of those who are trying to purge it."
Words matter — they lead to action. Please think deeply about the implications of all dangerous rhetoric.
- Which states are best for tax payers?
- In our opinion: Western land standoff aside,...
- In our opinion: Utah is not a swing state and...
- Jay Evensen: No more rent for inmates —...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Letter: Right and wrong
- Letter: Plenty of danger in e-cigarettes
- My view: Utah's agriculture industry needs...
- Letter: Right and wrong 96
- My view: Anti-science ruins the climate... 68
- Robert Bennett: Immigration reform... 64
- Letter: Science consensus is slow,... 51
- In our opinion: Confronted by power,... 40
- In our opinion: Western land standoff... 36
- John Hoffmire: Why shouldn’t... 29
- Letter: Republican empathy too rare 28