The club also paid homage to its roots by introducing Tony Meola and Preki, longtime staples of the Wizards, as they presented the trophy prior to the game.
"To have the kind of players we had on the field tonight is really fun, and to have guys like Thierry Henry in our locker room is quite an honor," said Robb Heineman, the CEO of Sporting KC.
Once the game started, there was little for MLS fans to feel good about.
Strootman's early goal set the tone as Roma attacked the MLS side's shoddy defense with pressure right up the middle. Florenzi had a goal taken away moments later by a close off-sides call, and then missed an open shot just wide of the net a few minutes later.
"The way the team is playing," Henry said, "it's outstanding."
The MLS side never had a good scoring chance in the first half, and by the time it got things sorted out in the second, Roma had already tacked on a couple more scores.
Florenzi finally found the back of the net in the 47th minute — he was clearly onside this time — and Tallo added his goal in 69th minute to put away the game.
"For us, this was a really good chance against a great team in a great environment," said Roma midfielder Michael Bradley, who got his professional start in Major League Soccer.
As frustrating as the loss was for MLS, it was uplifting for Roma, which has been rebuilding its roster while embarking on its fourth manager in two years under American ownership.
James Pallotta, Roma's president and a Boston Celtics minority owner, leads a four-man group of Boston executives who are the first foreign majority owners of a Serie A club. Pallotta played an integral part in landing Roma the marquee tuneup for its upcoming season.
"The atmosphere was very good," Roma coach Rudi Garcia said. "It was like a league game for us against a very strong team, and to win a game like this is very good for us."
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 60
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14