The club also paid homage to its roots by introducing Tony Meola and Preki, longtime staples of the Wizards, as they presented the trophy prior to the game.
"To have the kind of players we had on the field tonight is really fun, and to have guys like Thierry Henry in our locker room is quite an honor," said Robb Heineman, the CEO of Sporting KC.
Once the game started, there was little for MLS fans to feel good about.
Strootman's early goal set the tone as Roma attacked the MLS side's shoddy defense with pressure right up the middle. Florenzi had a goal taken away moments later by a close off-sides call, and then missed an open shot just wide of the net a few minutes later.
"The way the team is playing," Henry said, "it's outstanding."
The MLS side never had a good scoring chance in the first half, and by the time it got things sorted out in the second, Roma had already tacked on a couple more scores.
Florenzi finally found the back of the net in the 47th minute — he was clearly onside this time — and Tallo added his goal in 69th minute to put away the game.
"For us, this was a really good chance against a great team in a great environment," said Roma midfielder Michael Bradley, who got his professional start in Major League Soccer.
As frustrating as the loss was for MLS, it was uplifting for Roma, which has been rebuilding its roster while embarking on its fourth manager in two years under American ownership.
James Pallotta, Roma's president and a Boston Celtics minority owner, leads a four-man group of Boston executives who are the first foreign majority owners of a Serie A club. Pallotta played an integral part in landing Roma the marquee tuneup for its upcoming season.
"The atmosphere was very good," Roma coach Rudi Garcia said. "It was like a league game for us against a very strong team, and to win a game like this is very good for us."
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 67
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 58
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27