The following editorial appeared recently in the Philadelphia Inquirer:
With last week's suspension of Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun for taking performance-enhancing drugs, talking heads are again falling over themselves to deplore the example Major League Baseball is setting for American society. But they have it twisted.
Baseball's inability to escape the so-called Steroid Era, which Commissioner Bud Selig declared dead three years ago, is due to what's going on outside sports. If you're not taking a performance enhancer of some sort, you're being urged to. That reality was especially apparent during the Mike & Mike sports-talk show on ESPN radio and television Tuesday.
After a frenzied discussion of Braun's sin of using drugs to gain an advantage, hosts Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic broke for a commercial. On the screen appeared Bo Jackson, the former football and baseball star, selling 5-Hour Energy drinks.
"It gives me everything I need to get me over the hump," he said. "I tried it right before going out golfing with some buddies. We only played 18 holes, but I could have played 36 that day."
In a country where we buy 5-Hour Energy for a boost and ZzzQuil to rest, it's not just baseball players' doping that should worry us. Drug advertisements have become so ubiquitous, why wouldn't kids who grow up to be ballplayers think nothing of taking a performance enhancer?
That doesn't excuse Braun or any other athlete who broke the rules. But don't blame them for our drug-dependent culture. What they did, unfortunately, fits right in.
- Jay Evensen: Utah's election is clear as mud
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- A. Scott Anderson: Sen. Bennett: Selfless...
- Michael Gerson: Conservatives' deal with the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Collective neurosis in...
- In our opinion: Not all economic inequality...
- My view: A de-sexed society is a de-humanized...
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 73
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 49
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20
- My view: Character still matters in... 16
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains 11
- My view: The one thing that could solve... 11