Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
TUCSON, Ariz. — The Salt Lake Bees dropped their third consecutive game, as the Tucson Padres prevailed 4-3 on Monday night.
Tucson jumped in front with two runs in the third and one in the fourth before the Bees got on the board with one run in the sixth on an RBI double by Andrew Romine that extended his hitting streak to 20 games.
Salt Lake pulled to within one run with two in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Romine and a run scoring double by Matt Long. Chris Nelson ended the inning by flying out to the wall in centerfield.
The Bees threatened in the ninth, as they had runners at first and third with two out, but Robbie Widlansky fouled out to the catcher to end the game.
Matt Shoemaker (8-12) was charged with the loss, as he went six innings and allowed all four runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and two walks.
Romine led the Bees with one hit and two runs batted in, while Luis Rodriguez added a pair of doubles.
Salt Lake opens a four game series with Iowa on Tuesday night with a one-game lead over second place Tacoma and a 41/2-game lead over third place Colorado Springs.
The series loss to Tucson was the Bees' first since they dropped three out of four May 24-27 at Las Vegas. They had won eight series since then and split six.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16