Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
TUCSON, Ariz. — The Salt Lake Bees dropped their third consecutive game, as the Tucson Padres prevailed 4-3 on Monday night.
Tucson jumped in front with two runs in the third and one in the fourth before the Bees got on the board with one run in the sixth on an RBI double by Andrew Romine that extended his hitting streak to 20 games.
Salt Lake pulled to within one run with two in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Romine and a run scoring double by Matt Long. Chris Nelson ended the inning by flying out to the wall in centerfield.
The Bees threatened in the ninth, as they had runners at first and third with two out, but Robbie Widlansky fouled out to the catcher to end the game.
Matt Shoemaker (8-12) was charged with the loss, as he went six innings and allowed all four runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and two walks.
Romine led the Bees with one hit and two runs batted in, while Luis Rodriguez added a pair of doubles.
Salt Lake opens a four game series with Iowa on Tuesday night with a one-game lead over second place Tacoma and a 41/2-game lead over third place Colorado Springs.
The series loss to Tucson was the Bees' first since they dropped three out of four May 24-27 at Las Vegas. They had won eight series since then and split six.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18