Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
TUCSON, Ariz. — The Salt Lake Bees dropped their third consecutive game, as the Tucson Padres prevailed 4-3 on Monday night.
Tucson jumped in front with two runs in the third and one in the fourth before the Bees got on the board with one run in the sixth on an RBI double by Andrew Romine that extended his hitting streak to 20 games.
Salt Lake pulled to within one run with two in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Romine and a run scoring double by Matt Long. Chris Nelson ended the inning by flying out to the wall in centerfield.
The Bees threatened in the ninth, as they had runners at first and third with two out, but Robbie Widlansky fouled out to the catcher to end the game.
Matt Shoemaker (8-12) was charged with the loss, as he went six innings and allowed all four runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and two walks.
Romine led the Bees with one hit and two runs batted in, while Luis Rodriguez added a pair of doubles.
Salt Lake opens a four game series with Iowa on Tuesday night with a one-game lead over second place Tacoma and a 41/2-game lead over third place Colorado Springs.
The series loss to Tucson was the Bees' first since they dropped three out of four May 24-27 at Las Vegas. They had won eight series since then and split six.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23