Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake forward Alvaro Saborio has been named MLS Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters for Week 22 of the 2013 MLS season.
Returning to the RSL lineup for the first time since departing for CONCACAF Gold Cup play last month, the Costa Rican striker scored three goals in RSL's 4-3 loss at the New York Red Bulls on Saturday. The all-time leading scorer in Claret-and-Cobalt history with 61 goals in 105 games across all competitions, Saborio opened his account with a penalty kick conversion in the 45th minute before equalizing in the 80th and scoring a spectacular goal to put RSL up 3-2 in the 82nd.
"I'm very happy to come back to Real Salt Lake and try to help the team by scoring goals, but at the same time I am unhappy because we couldn't get a result at New York," said Saborio, who now has three of the five hat tricks in Claret-and-Cobalt history.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20