Felipe Dana, Associated Press
It was a rainy day, but the Roman Catholic faithful turned out in droves for Pope Francis on Wednesday.
He started the day in the town of Aparecida, to attend Mass at the mammoth Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, which houses Brazil's patron saint, the dark-skinned Virgin of Aparecida.
Thousands jammed themselves inside the church, while tens of thousands more stood in the rain outside and happily cheered the pope.
Later, Francis returned to Rio de Janeiro for a visit to what the pope called a "shrine of human suffering" — a hospital in Rio that treats substance abusers.
Here's a gallery of images from the third day of the pope' visit to Brazil.
AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 42
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 38
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25