Felipe Dana, Associated Press
It was a rainy day, but the Roman Catholic faithful turned out in droves for Pope Francis on Wednesday.
He started the day in the town of Aparecida, to attend Mass at the mammoth Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, which houses Brazil's patron saint, the dark-skinned Virgin of Aparecida.
Thousands jammed themselves inside the church, while tens of thousands more stood in the rain outside and happily cheered the pope.
Later, Francis returned to Rio de Janeiro for a visit to what the pope called a "shrine of human suffering" — a hospital in Rio that treats substance abusers.
Here's a gallery of images from the third day of the pope' visit to Brazil.
AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 47
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 29
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 14
- New school lunch regulations could turn... 12