Felipe Dana, Associated Press
It was a rainy day, but the Roman Catholic faithful turned out in droves for Pope Francis on Wednesday.
He started the day in the town of Aparecida, to attend Mass at the mammoth Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, which houses Brazil's patron saint, the dark-skinned Virgin of Aparecida.
Thousands jammed themselves inside the church, while tens of thousands more stood in the rain outside and happily cheered the pope.
Later, Francis returned to Rio de Janeiro for a visit to what the pope called a "shrine of human suffering" — a hospital in Rio that treats substance abusers.
Here's a gallery of images from the third day of the pope' visit to Brazil.
AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4