HOUSTON — Former President George H.W. Bush has shaved his head to show solidarity for the sick child of a Secret Service agent.
A statement issued by a Bush spokesman Wednesday says the 89-year-old former president acted earlier this week at his summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine. That was after he saw members of his Secret Service detail with newly shaved heads to show support for the 2-year-old son of an agent. The child is undergoing treatment for leukemia and is losing his hair as a result.
The Bush spokesman identified the boy only as Patrick.
George and Barbara Bush lost their second child, 4-year-old Robin Bush, to leukemia almost 60 years ago.
The security detail has launched a website, www.patrickspals.org , to help with expenses associated with Patrick's treatment.
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in shooting
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- In New Zealand, feud over fate of 1902 corpse...
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- At least 17 killed in Egypt by building collapse
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 60
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 45
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 28
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15