Steven Senne, Associated Press
BOSTON — The last hospitalized Boston Marathon bombing victim went home Wednesday, exactly 100 days after the attack that killed three people and wounded more than 260.
Marc Fucarile lost his right leg above the knee and suffered severe burns and shrapnel wounds when the second of two bombs exploded near him and a group of friends who were at the finish line to watch another friend complete the run. Two other people in his group also lost legs.
Fucarile's relatives, doctors and therapists gathered at the lobby of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital to say farewell as he headed home for the first time since the April 15 bombings. He has made 16 trips to the operating room for a total of 49 surgical procedures.
"Today marks the 100th day of me in the hospital, not being able to spend the night with my boy or fiancee. You know, it's been tough," he said as his son, Gavin, stood next to him and giggled happily.
Fucarile, a 34-year-old roofer who wore a "Boston Wicked Strong" T-shirt, said going home does not mean the end of an arduous and painful medical journey.
"I, like many other survivors, still have more surgeries and other procedures to go through," he said. "I'll be needing prosthesis and adaptation for the rest of my life, like many others from that day."
His fiancee, Jennifer Regan, joked that the family got a front-load washer and dryer so he can do laundry from his wheelchair.
"No, it means the world, just the simple things that . you sort of brush aside, maybe, in your everyday life — like family dinners, you know what I mean," she said. "Gavin hasn't had his dad home for dinner in 100 days ... yeah, I'm excited, it's really good."
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has ‘no...
- Happy Tax Day! See what you know about tax...
- Couple arrested in alleged iPhone purchasing...
- Dinosaur discoveries in Utah's 'amazing...
- Malaysia jet search area too deep for submarine
- Delta tops list of most profitable airlines...
- Kirsten Dunst targeted after saying...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 67
- Federal land managers release 400 or so... 58
- Shoe thrown at Hillary Clinton during... 29
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 28
- Kirsten Dunst targeted after saying... 27
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- 'Obamacare' under attack as... 14