WASHINGTON — Republican lawmakers are threatening to withhold salary representing less than one-sixteen thousandth of multimillionaire Secretary of State John Kerry's net worth.
The Senate Appropriations Committee's measure demands Kerry's agency implement recommendations of a U.S. investigator for Afghan reconstruction. If the State Department doesn't report progress, he loses a quarter of his salary for three months next year.
The conditions also apply to the U.S. special envoy to Afghanistan.
For Kerry, whose assets totaled at least $184 million according to a 2011 Senate disclosure, it hardly matters.
His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is reportedly worth more than $1 billion.
And the family made more money when billionaire Warren Buffett bought out ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co. earlier this year.
Still, some Democrats opposed the amendment to next year's foreign operations bill.
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- After 1st Ebola case in NYC, 3 others...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- White House fence jumper charged with assault
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over women...
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 25
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 23
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 19
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 11
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8