Fort Union, Mora County, N.M., was established in 1851 to protect settlers and travelers using the Santa Fe Trail, including some members of the Mormon Battalion. It was also used as a depot to supply other forts. This fort was actually three different posts in the same area, near the end of the Mountain Route just before it merged with the Cimarron Cutoff in Watrous, eight miles away.
As the railroad came, use of the Santa Fe Trail diminished, along with the need to protect those who utilized it. Moreover, pacification of the region in subsequent years led to the decision that Fort Union was no longer necessary and it was abandoned in 1891.
The majority of the members of the Mormon Battalion probably just missed Fort Union because they came on the Cimarron branch. However, some of those in sick detachments would likely have followed the Mountain Route to Fort Union and on to Pueblo, Colo.
Some good ruts of the trail remain to this day.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 62
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20