One neighbor, Nathenia Crosby, said she was familiar with the suspect and had seen him walking through the neighborhood. She said she had told him to stop chatting with her daughter and warned him after seeing him talk to her cousin.
"It's very scary, especially when he used to be talking to my daughter," said Crosby, 48. "But I told him he was too old to be talking to my daughter because she was only 19. When I found out how old he was, I said, 'You need to move on, she's too young.' "
The police, FBI, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department went through yards and abandoned houses over about three blocks Saturday and used dogs trained to find cadavers.
The neighborhood in East Cleveland, which has some 17,000 residents, has many abandoned houses and authorities want to be thorough, the mayor said.
"Hopefully, we pray to God, this is it," he said.
It's the third recent high-profile case in the Cleveland area that involves missing women.
In May, three women who separately vanished a decade ago were found captive in a run-down house. Ariel Castro, a former school bus driver, has pleaded not guilty to nearly 1,000 counts of kidnap, rape and other crimes.
In 2009, Sowell was arrested after a woman escaped from his house and said she had been raped there. Police found the mostly nude bodies of 11 women in garbage bags and plastic sheets throughout the home.
Prosecutors described him in court papers as "the worst offender in the history of Cuyahoga County and arguably the State of Ohio."
He was found guilty in 2011 and sentenced to death.
Associated Press writers Andrew Welsh-Huggins in East Cleveland and Peggy Harris in Philadelphia contributed to this report.
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- North Korea sends another US citizen to prison
- Violence follows California Trump rally, 17...
- Norway oil-rig helicopter crash kills 13;...
- High-speed rail board approves revised...
- Clinton backers 'feel the Bern' of angry...
- Biden cites 'serious' progress toward...
- Southwest, Delta tangle over whether to cut...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 83
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 52
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 30
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 27
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 21
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21