Chris Pizzello, AP
NEW YORK — "Glee" executive producer Ryan Murphy is planning a tribute episode to honor the series' deceased star, Cory Monteith.
In remarks to news outlets published Saturday, Murphy said the tribute would address the death of Finn, the character Monteith played on the Fox network high school musical series. That show will be the season's third episode, following two episodes that had already been written.
Then the series will go on a hiatus to reassess its direction, Murphy said.
The body of 31-year-old Monteith was found last weekend in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room. Tests showed he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.
On "Glee" he played high school quarterback and glee club member Finn Hudson, who had graduated and moved on to college but was an adviser to his old club and remained part of the show.
Finn also had an off-and-on romance with fellow student and singer Rachel, played by his real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.
Monteith had been candid about his struggles with addiction, which included a rehab stint several months before his death.
Murphy said he had helped stage an intervention in his office for Monteith last March.
"He wanted to continue working and we said, 'That's not an option. No. The TV show doesn't matter, your life matters,'" Murphy told the Eonline website. Monteith's rehab began soon thereafter.
Murphy also spoke with Deadline, the Hollywood Reporter and TV Line.
On Friday, Fox announced the series would return for its fifth season on Sept. 26, a week later than originally scheduled.
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14