Chris Pizzello, AP
NEW YORK — "Glee" executive producer Ryan Murphy is planning a tribute episode to honor the series' deceased star, Cory Monteith.
In remarks to news outlets published Saturday, Murphy said the tribute would address the death of Finn, the character Monteith played on the Fox network high school musical series. That show will be the season's third episode, following two episodes that had already been written.
Then the series will go on a hiatus to reassess its direction, Murphy said.
The body of 31-year-old Monteith was found last weekend in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room. Tests showed he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.
On "Glee" he played high school quarterback and glee club member Finn Hudson, who had graduated and moved on to college but was an adviser to his old club and remained part of the show.
Finn also had an off-and-on romance with fellow student and singer Rachel, played by his real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.
Monteith had been candid about his struggles with addiction, which included a rehab stint several months before his death.
Murphy said he had helped stage an intervention in his office for Monteith last March.
"He wanted to continue working and we said, 'That's not an option. No. The TV show doesn't matter, your life matters,'" Murphy told the Eonline website. Monteith's rehab began soon thereafter.
Murphy also spoke with Deadline, the Hollywood Reporter and TV Line.
On Friday, Fox announced the series would return for its fifth season on Sept. 26, a week later than originally scheduled.
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign to...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive suspect's...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of defiance'...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Thousands of Syrian refugee children left in...
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive... 49
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign... 42
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 40
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 35
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of... 30
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 29
- Planned Parenthood under fire literally... 16