Joe Burbank, Associated Press
Apparently, most people do not know much about George Zimmerman.
A year ago, he was 100 pounds smaller than he is now. He was non athletic and about a foot shorter than Trayvon Martin. He took two black children into his home and cared for many other black people. He liked black people. He was a neighborhood watchman who volunteered because of the crimes that had been occurring in his area.
On the other hand, Trayvon Martin was tall, athletic and a known lawbreaker. He was suspended from school in Miami because he was caught with stolen jewelry. He took drugs, including Marijuana, and was in trouble with the law. He left there and went to Sanford to stay with his father's girl friend. Again, he got into trouble with the law, but was not prosecuted.
On the night in question, he was in the wrong area and a mile from his residence. Why did he wait four minutes for Zimmerman to hang up the phone? Why did he verbally accost Zimmerman? Why did he feel it necessary to smash his fist into Zimmerman's face, knocking him down and immediately banging his head on the cement? That is a violent response to a simple question.
The verdict of not guilty was given by a jury of people who were chosen by the prosecution and defense. They took a long time weighing every aspect of the case and found Zimmerman not guilty. That is called justice. Whether or not the verdict was popular does not negate the justice of the decision.
Loa Don Glade
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Capitalism and the common good:... 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36