Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Albert Pujols, Erick Aybar and Mike Trout each homered, Jered Weaver extended his scoreless-innings streak against Oakland to 24 2-3, and the Los Angeles Angels came out of the All-Star break with a 4-1 victory over the Athletics on Friday night.
Weaver (4-5) allowed four hits in 6 2-3 innings while striking out a season-high eight and walking four. The previous club record for scoreless innings against the A's was 21, by Bob Lee in 1964-65.
Last season, Weaver gave up a solo homer to Seth Smith over 30 2-3 innings while going 3-0 in four starts against the A's. Since 2011, the right-hander has dominated the A's with a 7-1 record in 10 starts.
Ernesto Frieri earned his 23rd save in 25 chances on his 28th birthday.
A.J. Griffin (8-7) gave up four runs and six hits in five innings, struck out four and walked one for the first-place A's. His three-game winning streak in his previous four starts ended with his first loss since June 15 against Seattle.
The Angels, who finished under .500 at the break for the first time since 2006, gave manager Mike Scioscia his 1,200th career win. They snapped a three-game skid.
The Angels extended their lead to 4-0 in the fifth on homers by Aybar and Trout. Aybar led off the inning with his fourth of the season, while Trout's 16th went to left field.
Pujols, whose career .334 average in the second half of the season leads all active players, slugged his 16th homer with two outs in the third.
Josh Hamilton's RBI double to right field got past a diving Josh Reddick. It scored J.B. Shuck, who reached on an infield single to third and continued to second on a throwing error by third baseman Josh Donaldson.
Oakland scored its lone run on a RBI double by Chris Young in the ninth off Kevin Jepsen.
Notes: Oakland LF Yoenis Cespedes, who won the Home Run Derby on Monday during All-Star festivities, was scratched just before the game with a sore left wrist. ... Angels OF Peter Bourjos, on the DL with a right wrist fracture, will be re-evaluated on Monday, but isn't expected back for a couple weeks. ... Scioscia is 1,200-1,000 in his managerial career. ... Angels RHP Tommy Hansen, on the DL with a strained right forearm, is a candidate to start on Tuesday against Minnesota. ... The announced crowd of 43,515 was the fourth sellout of the season.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 76
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24