Chris Pizzello, AP
LOS ANGELES — "Glee" will return for its fifth season a week later than planned because of the death of series star Cory Monteith, Fox said Friday.
In a statement, the network and "Glee" producers said that "in light of the tragic passing" of the beloved cast member, the decision was made to delay production until early August.
The show's fall return, scheduled for Sept. 19, has been moved to Sept. 26. No further information was available, Fox and producers said.
Monteith's body was found last weekend in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room, and tests showed he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol. He had been candid about his struggles with addiction, which included a rehab stint several months before his death.
Fox and "Glee" producers have not publicly discussed how the show will deal with the loss of Monteith, 31, and his character, or if a decision has yet been made on how to proceed.
Monteith played high school quarterback and glee club member Finn Hudson, who had graduated and moved on to college but was an adviser to his old club and remained part of the show.
Finn also had an off-and-on romance with fellow student and singer Rachel, played by his real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.
A Fox release that preceded Monteith's death offered plot highlights of the coming season, including whether Rachel would find success on Broadway and whether the characters of Blaine and Kurt (Darren Criss, Chris Colfer) would marry.
There was no mention of what was in store for the character of Finn.
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Attorney General nominee picks up support...
- Arizona monitoring hundreds for measles...
- NASA remembering 17 astronauts killed in the...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 39
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11