Chris Pizzello, AP
LOS ANGELES — "Glee" will return for its fifth season a week later than planned because of the death of series star Cory Monteith, Fox said Friday.
In a statement, the network and "Glee" producers said that "in light of the tragic passing" of the beloved cast member, the decision was made to delay production until early August.
The show's fall return, scheduled for Sept. 19, has been moved to Sept. 26. No further information was available, Fox and producers said.
Monteith's body was found last weekend in a Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room, and tests showed he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol. He had been candid about his struggles with addiction, which included a rehab stint several months before his death.
Fox and "Glee" producers have not publicly discussed how the show will deal with the loss of Monteith, 31, and his character, or if a decision has yet been made on how to proceed.
Monteith played high school quarterback and glee club member Finn Hudson, who had graduated and moved on to college but was an adviser to his old club and remained part of the show.
Finn also had an off-and-on romance with fellow student and singer Rachel, played by his real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.
A Fox release that preceded Monteith's death offered plot highlights of the coming season, including whether Rachel would find success on Broadway and whether the characters of Blaine and Kurt (Darren Criss, Chris Colfer) would marry.
There was no mention of what was in store for the character of Finn.
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12