With Pierce and Garnett joining the trio of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and All-Star center Brook Lopez, the Nets will have one of the NBA's most potent lineups. But they will have to win soon, as Pierce will be 36 by opening night and Garnett is 37 — though his refusal to answer to question about how much he has left showed he believes the answer is plenty.
The Celtics won a title in the first year that Garnett and Pierce were together, and they believe the Nets have the talent to compete for one this season.
"This is like mirror images," Garnett said. "You see the talent that's already here, you see us coming into it, now it's about how well we gel."
It will be strange trying to do it in jerseys that don't have any green. Garnett's even has an unfamiliar number, now in No. 2 in honor of his friend and former Minnesota teammate, the late Malik Sealy.
Pierce always envisioned them playing together, but not anywhere else. He figured when he signed his last contract that he would retire a Celtic, and felt even more certain after Garnett later re-signed.
"I thought we were going to be linked together pretty much the rest of our careers in Boston," Pierce said. "As you can see we are pretty much linked together, but just not in Boston anymore."
Follow Brian Mahoney on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Briancmahoney
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43