SALT LAKE CITY — It may not be around forever, but the Wingpointe Golf Course isn't closing any time soon.
The links course, which opened in 1991 right next to the Salt Lake International Airport, has been rumored to be on its last legs because of future airport expansion. However the course will remain open until at least 2017 thanks to an agreement between Salt Lake City and the Department of Airports and the Federal Aviation Administration.
According to Rick Graham, Salt Lake City's Department of Public Services Director, Wingpointe will be open until at least 2017 and perhaps longer, depending on the needs of the airport for aeronautical uses.
"It will be business as usual and we will continue to operate with no change to the quality of the golf course," Graham said. "We have been working with the FAA and the Department of Airports and they have signed off on our proposals."
Under the original agreement with the airport, the city was leasing the land for $1 per year, but under a new agreement, the city must pay $55,000 per year with the rent increasing $5,000 per year. The FAA had wanted the city to start paying fair market rent for the property, which would have been $155,000 per year, but the city was able to negotiate a lesser amount.
Graham acknowledges the land where the golf course is situated will eventually be used for the airport expansion. He said the current agreement could be renewed again in 2017 for another five years and beyond, depending on how far the airport gets in its master plan.
Graham also said that the course would be properly maintained as if it is going to be around for the long run and that the green fees are not going up in the near future.
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 47
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12