SALT LAKE CITY — It may not be around forever, but the Wingpointe Golf Course isn't closing any time soon.
The links course, which opened in 1991 right next to the Salt Lake International Airport, has been rumored to be on its last legs because of future airport expansion. However the course will remain open until at least 2017 thanks to an agreement between Salt Lake City and the Department of Airports and the Federal Aviation Administration.
According to Rick Graham, Salt Lake City's Department of Public Services Director, Wingpointe will be open until at least 2017 and perhaps longer, depending on the needs of the airport for aeronautical uses.
"It will be business as usual and we will continue to operate with no change to the quality of the golf course," Graham said. "We have been working with the FAA and the Department of Airports and they have signed off on our proposals."
Under the original agreement with the airport, the city was leasing the land for $1 per year, but under a new agreement, the city must pay $55,000 per year with the rent increasing $5,000 per year. The FAA had wanted the city to start paying fair market rent for the property, which would have been $155,000 per year, but the city was able to negotiate a lesser amount.
Graham acknowledges the land where the golf course is situated will eventually be used for the airport expansion. He said the current agreement could be renewed again in 2017 for another five years and beyond, depending on how far the airport gets in its master plan.
Graham also said that the course would be properly maintained as if it is going to be around for the long run and that the green fees are not going up in the near future.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30