Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
The Colorado Springs Sky Sox (51-45) jumped out to an early 6-1 lead and end up defeating the Salt Lake Bees (54-44) 12-5 in the last game before the All-star break.
Colorado Springs' Corey Dickerson hammered his 11th home run of the season to right field to plate Charlie Culberson who led off the inning with a double. The team added one more inning in the opening stanza when Tyler Colvin knocked home Xavier Nady, who was walked by Bees' starting pitcher Jarrett Grube, who fell to 3-4 on the season.
Salt Lake added a run in the next inning on a RBI single by John Hester, but the Sky Sox' offense continued to roll in the bottom of the inning when Culberson clubbed his second double of the day and was brought home on a RBI single by Tim Wheeler. The team's extra-base hit bonanza continued in the third inning when Tyler Colvin drove home Ben Paulsen on a RBI triple, and then scored on a double by Lars Davis.
In the top of the seventh inning reliever Mike McClendon replaced starting pitcher Jeff Francis (W, 2-2) who was spectacular for the Sox. The lefty earned his second win in a row for the team after only allowing one run on five hits in six innings while striking out five batters.
The Bees' offense woke up against the bullpen, scoring four runs over the last three innings including a home run and a RBI double by Chris Nelson, but were unable to outpace the Sox' offense.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Taysom Hill scores five touchdowns as BYU...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45