Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
The Colorado Springs Sky Sox (51-45) jumped out to an early 6-1 lead and end up defeating the Salt Lake Bees (54-44) 12-5 in the last game before the All-star break.
Colorado Springs' Corey Dickerson hammered his 11th home run of the season to right field to plate Charlie Culberson who led off the inning with a double. The team added one more inning in the opening stanza when Tyler Colvin knocked home Xavier Nady, who was walked by Bees' starting pitcher Jarrett Grube, who fell to 3-4 on the season.
Salt Lake added a run in the next inning on a RBI single by John Hester, but the Sky Sox' offense continued to roll in the bottom of the inning when Culberson clubbed his second double of the day and was brought home on a RBI single by Tim Wheeler. The team's extra-base hit bonanza continued in the third inning when Tyler Colvin drove home Ben Paulsen on a RBI triple, and then scored on a double by Lars Davis.
In the top of the seventh inning reliever Mike McClendon replaced starting pitcher Jeff Francis (W, 2-2) who was spectacular for the Sox. The lefty earned his second win in a row for the team after only allowing one run on five hits in six innings while striking out five batters.
The Bees' offense woke up against the bullpen, scoring four runs over the last three innings including a home run and a RBI double by Chris Nelson, but were unable to outpace the Sox' offense.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20