Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The Bees built up a nine-run lead, but had to hold off a Colorado Springs rally as Salt Lake held on for a 12-10 win over the Sky Sox on Saturday night.
Salt Lake jumped out in front in the first on a two-run homer by Kole Calhoun. After the Sky Sox scored one in the bottom of the first, the Bees plated three runs in the second, two in the third, two in the fourth and three in sixth for a 12-3 lead before the Sky Sox came screaming back.
In the ninth, the Sky Sox had the tying run on base with one out before Daniel Stange struck out Tim Wheeler and Lars Davis to earn his third save since joining Salt Lake in late June. Matt Shoemaker (8-10) picked up the win, as he went six innings and allowed four runs on eight hits with two strikeouts and two walks. Calhoun led the Bees' 20-hit attack with four hits and three RBIs, while Matt Long added a pair of doubles and four RBIs as he stretched his hitting streak to 10 games.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 90
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 75
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34