The one-income household is rapidly becoming extinct, and more and more women are bringing home a majority of the income to households. As women gain more responsibility in the workplace, they haven't been adequately relieved at home and in the community. Generally, discussion of unequal duties in families is reserved for book club, lunches, play dates and frustration when other family members aren't pulling their weight.
I rarely hear men speak of concern for the well-being of their significant others when it comes to equal workload and pay. There are all kinds of people telling women how to change their behavior to attain higher pay, flex scheduling, respect, etc. The dialogue needs to include mens responsibilities in possibly changing their schedule to support goals and family needs.
The end result will be happier families and societal change, which won't evoke a reaction to a man at the park on Tuesday afternoon akin to "the poor guy was probably downsized." Accordingly, gentlemen should invest time and money to a cause that will pay off for generations to come.
Salt Lake City
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of bullying
- Gov. Herbert: Executing fundamentals for a...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Brad Stine: Words created everything, so we...
- Jay Evensen: Infatuated with his good looks,...
- Letter: Medicare Advantage costs
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 39
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 26