The one-income household is rapidly becoming extinct, and more and more women are bringing home a majority of the income to households. As women gain more responsibility in the workplace, they haven't been adequately relieved at home and in the community. Generally, discussion of unequal duties in families is reserved for book club, lunches, play dates and frustration when other family members aren't pulling their weight.
I rarely hear men speak of concern for the well-being of their significant others when it comes to equal workload and pay. There are all kinds of people telling women how to change their behavior to attain higher pay, flex scheduling, respect, etc. The dialogue needs to include mens responsibilities in possibly changing their schedule to support goals and family needs.
The end result will be happier families and societal change, which won't evoke a reaction to a man at the park on Tuesday afternoon akin to "the poor guy was probably downsized." Accordingly, gentlemen should invest time and money to a cause that will pay off for generations to come.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13