Mississippi suspends former Utah guard Marshall Henderson indefinitely
Mississippi guard Marshall Henderson has been suspended indefinitely.
In a release Wednesday, the university announced the 6-foot-2 senior from Hurst, Texas, is suspended because of a "violation of team rules," but it did not provide any details about the violations.
"Since the season ended, we have talked a lot about Marshall taking a greater leadership role with our team," Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said in a statement. "With that comes greater responsibility, and he must do a better job of living up to the high standard we expect from him and he desires from himself."
Henderson averaged 20.1 points per game last season — bombing 3-pointers from nearly every inch of the court. He helped the Rebels win the SEC tournament championship and advance to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002.
But the flamboyant guard also was known for his abrasive personality and he quickly became the player opposing teams loved to hate.
Most of Henderson's transgressions were fairly harmless — like popping his jersey at the Auburn crowd after hitting a game-clinching shot — but he rarely missed an opportunity to needle opposing fans.
It's been an eventful offseason for Henderson, but for all the wrong reasons.
He wrote a message in April for the university's website, thanking Ole Miss fans for their support and vaguely apologizing to "anyone I offended." He said he would try to become a better leader in the future.
He was also reprimanded by the NCAA in June for making an "inappropriate gesture" following the Rebels' loss to LaSalle in the third round of the NCAA tournament.
Henderson came to Ole Miss with a history of discipline problems. He was arrested in both 2009 and 2011 and served time in jail after the second arrest because he violated his probation. Ole Miss has said the coaches were aware of Henderson's past when he signed with the program.
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 100
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24