Mississippi suspends former Utah guard Marshall Henderson indefinitely
Mississippi guard Marshall Henderson has been suspended indefinitely.
In a release Wednesday, the university announced the 6-foot-2 senior from Hurst, Texas, is suspended because of a "violation of team rules," but it did not provide any details about the violations.
"Since the season ended, we have talked a lot about Marshall taking a greater leadership role with our team," Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said in a statement. "With that comes greater responsibility, and he must do a better job of living up to the high standard we expect from him and he desires from himself."
Henderson averaged 20.1 points per game last season — bombing 3-pointers from nearly every inch of the court. He helped the Rebels win the SEC tournament championship and advance to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002.
But the flamboyant guard also was known for his abrasive personality and he quickly became the player opposing teams loved to hate.
Most of Henderson's transgressions were fairly harmless — like popping his jersey at the Auburn crowd after hitting a game-clinching shot — but he rarely missed an opportunity to needle opposing fans.
It's been an eventful offseason for Henderson, but for all the wrong reasons.
He wrote a message in April for the university's website, thanking Ole Miss fans for their support and vaguely apologizing to "anyone I offended." He said he would try to become a better leader in the future.
He was also reprimanded by the NCAA in June for making an "inappropriate gesture" following the Rebels' loss to LaSalle in the third round of the NCAA tournament.
Henderson came to Ole Miss with a history of discipline problems. He was arrested in both 2009 and 2011 and served time in jail after the second arrest because he violated his probation. Ole Miss has said the coaches were aware of Henderson's past when he signed with the program.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24