Al Jefferson introduced in Charlotte, sheds light on post-season conversations with Utah Jazz
Chuck Burton, Associated Press
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — When the 2012-13 Utah Jazz campaign ended, uncertainty about Al Jefferson's future with the Jazz abounded.
At his introductory press conference with the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday, Jefferson shed some light on conversations that took place between the Jazz and Jefferson as the 6-foot-10 center made his way east.
"Me and Utah came to an understanding as far as they wanted to go with their young bigs," Jefferson said. "It makes a lot of sense. I think both of them are going to be superstars one day. I couldn't be mad at them for that."
Now a member of the Charlotte Bobcats, Jefferson said he's thrilled to be in North Carolina, regardless of their market size and recent struggles.
The leading scorer of the 2012-13 Jazz said he was blown away after meeting with team officials last week and "couldn't sleep a wink" in anticipation of signing with Charlotte. The move became official Wednesday as the Bobcats introduced their newest free agent acquisition at a press conference.
Jefferson said he is thrilled to sign with the Bobcats because "they're a team that respects my game and wanted me to be a part of their family."
Listen to audio from Jefferson's introductory press conference
Furthermore, he said he saw a resemblance of Utah Jazz big men Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter in Charlotte's frontcourt.
"The rookie they drafted this year and the big guy they drafted a couple years ago, you know, kind of reminded me of Derrick Favors and 'Big Turkey,' (Kanter) guys I used to work with in Utah. To hear what they had to say and after looking at their roster, it was just a no brainer."
Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins says Jefferson gives the team the low-post presence it needed.
The Bobcats also announced they have signed first-round draft pick Cody Zeller and waived forward Tyrus Thomas, designating him their amnesty player.
Associated Press writer Steve Reed contributed to this report.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18