Thank you to President Barack Obama for courageously unveiling a bold Climate Action Plan — at a time when we are faced with unprecedented drought, heat waves, floods and superstorms. Thank you for being a leader and recognizing that American families cannot afford to bear the financial, health and human costs that climate change continues to bring.
It is heartening to see our president stand up, demonstrating that he understands the science behind climate change; seizing the great opportunity to create new American jobs and more prosperous communities, while promoting cleaner air and healthier water. As President Obama expressed, "There is no contradiction between a sound environment and a strong economy."
Why, then, does our very own Gov. Gary Herbert support excessively dirty energy sources like tar sands and oil shale? This is not only environmentally short-sighted, but will also be disastrous for Utah's long-term economic prosperity.
Salt Lake City
- Richard Davis: Lessons of Pioneer Day are...
- NYT Opinion: Embracing evangelical...
- Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
- George F. Will: GOP minds are at sea —...
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding Melania...
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the heavy...
- In our opinion: An unsatisfying resolution to...
- Letter: Lead on Social Security
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding... 40
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Letter: Delegates are dividing 23
- Letter: Let feds take over 23
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- Letter: Lead on Social Security 20
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the... 18