Thank you to President Barack Obama for courageously unveiling a bold Climate Action Plan — at a time when we are faced with unprecedented drought, heat waves, floods and superstorms. Thank you for being a leader and recognizing that American families cannot afford to bear the financial, health and human costs that climate change continues to bring.
It is heartening to see our president stand up, demonstrating that he understands the science behind climate change; seizing the great opportunity to create new American jobs and more prosperous communities, while promoting cleaner air and healthier water. As President Obama expressed, "There is no contradiction between a sound environment and a strong economy."
Why, then, does our very own Gov. Gary Herbert support excessively dirty energy sources like tar sands and oil shale? This is not only environmentally short-sighted, but will also be disastrous for Utah's long-term economic prosperity.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- Letter: Degrading literature
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 48
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33
- Letter: Outdated climate 27