"It's one of those things. It can happen easily when you make lineups day to day with the computer programs," Mattingly said.
Posey said he looked at the digital lineup in the clubhouse. "I was batting third and I looked at the lineup on the scoreboard and I was batting third. Somewhere, something got crossed up," he said.
Bochy even talked before the game about wanting to return Posey permanently to the fourth spot with Sandoval healthy again and San Francisco struggling.
"In the middle of the at-bat I was looking at it like I was losing it," Bochy said.
The move might have been a bit of redemption for Mattingly, though the Giants were able to laugh it off in a win.
After separate ejections of manager Joe Torre and bench coach Bob Schaefer in the Dodgers' 7-5 loss to San Francisco on July 20, 2010, Mattingly made his own mistake while he was the hitting coach. He went to the mound for a chat with closer Jonathan Broxton in the ninth inning before Andres Torres came up. Mattingly took a few steps back off the dirt toward the dugout before turning around and advising first baseman James Loney exactly where he wanted him positioned.
Bochy came out to protest to plate umpire Adrian Johnson that Mattingly's about-face constituted a second trip to the mound. The umpires huddled and agreed, and Broxton had to leave the game. Mattingly was forced to summon George Sherrill, who promptly served up Torres' two-run double that gave the Giants the lead.
Los Angeles made more than its share of mistakes on Saturday.
In the second inning, Nick Punto's throw pulled shortstop Hanley Ramirez off second base for an error. Bumgarner walked to force in a run, Blanco's single drove in another and Scutaro flied out to right to put the Giants ahead 3-0.
Torres also reached in the fourth when Ramirez misplayed his grounder and was slow to recover, setting up Bumgarner's sacrifice fly that stretched San Francisco's lead to 4-0.
Andre Ethier's bloop single to left with two outs in the fifth was the first baserunner off Bumgarner. Federowicz followed with his third home run to trim the Dodgers' deficit to 4-2.
Ramirez tripled leading off the seventh before getting thrown out at the plate after Sandoval fielded a grounder at third.
NOTES: Mattingly said he's hopeful CF Matt Kemp (irritated left shoulder) will play Sunday or Monday at the latest. ... A moment of silence was held before the game for victims of an Asiana Airlines flight from South Korea that crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport. ... Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (7-5, 1.93 ERA) starts against San Francisco's Chad Gaudin (2-1, 2.60 ERA) in the series finale Sunday.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19