John Green, AP
A look at Saturday's crash of Asiana Airlines flight 214 at the San Francisco International Airport:
— WHAT HAPPENED: The Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 crashed while landing after a likely 10-hour-plus flight from Seoul, South Korea. The flight originated in Shanghai and stopped in Seoul before the long trek to San Francisco.
— PACKED FLIGHT: There were 307 people aboard — 291 passengers and 16 crew members. Two people aboard the plane died, but the rest were accounted for late Saturday. Of the 182 injured people taken to hospitals, at least 49 were considered seriously hurt. The remaining 133 had minor to moderate injuries, while many of the other passengers or crew members had more minor injuries that didn't require extra treatment.
— INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS: The plane's passengers included 141 Chinese, 77 Koreans, 61 Americans and one Japanese. Nationalities of the remaining passengers weren't immediately known.
— WHAT WENT WRONG? The cause isn't clear, but based on witness accounts and video of the wreckage, one aviation safety expert suggested the plane may have approached the runway too low and a part of the plane may have caught the seawall at the end of the runway. Some eyewitnesses said the aircraft seemed to lose control and that the tail may have hit the ground. The NTSB was sending a team to the site to probe the crash.
— WHAT'S NEXT? Updated conditions of the injured are expected Sunday, and NTSB investigators face their first full day of investigating the cause.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 6