J. Scott Applewhite, AP
What was the cause of the formation of the United States? We all know: the rule of an absolute monarchy in England, which controlled all things in their American colony. We rebelled, with the sacrifice of many, and founded a nation where the people ruled rather than a king.
We now have a government that is becoming our absolute monarchy with control over our businesses and many other aspects of our personal lives, even without our opportunity to vote on them. How did we allow this to happen? Who is ultimately responsible? Is it not the majority of us voters, who began to accept special favors from the government, resulting in doles, social programs, control over our personal finances and many other aspects that we once had the privilege of handling for ourselves?
We scoff at the worshiping of idols, but our government has become our modern-day idol to whom we look for security, blessings, favors, etc. This goes far beyond politics but has everything to do with the loss of the freedoms that we once enjoyed. "Majority," what are we going to do about it? Are we personally willing to sacrifice, as before, to return to our "safe harbor" — or sail into oblivion?
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Police not the problem
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- In our opinion: Utah sees improvement in...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 57
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 38
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 34
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30