Still, Keeler's parents, Robert and Christine Keeler of Reading, owned their own home and lived fairly well in their 30s, and Tim and Christine Keeler are doing the same, even in a recession economy.
"I'm very lucky," he said. "I know that."
'DIFFICULT TO LIVE AT TIMES'
Growing up in Reading was pretty good for Jessica Echevarria. Both of her parents had good, steady jobs, gas was cheap, life was good, the 29-year-old Temple resident said.
Now, she said, her life is a struggle. Her husband, Andrew, 27, got laid off from a steady job in a warehouse and for the first time in his life hasn't been able to find any full-time work. Jessica can't find a good full-time job either. She works as a hostess at the West Reading Diner four days a week and spends the rest of her time taking care of their daughter, Natalia, 3.
For the time being, Jessica and her young family are living with her 74-year-old grandfather, Donald Clouser.
"We're struggling," Echevarria said. "It's very difficult to live at times."
Even though times are tough, Rauenzahn said she still pays $86 a month so her son can continue the violin lessons he started when she was still working.
"You can't stop your life," she said. "That $86 is like a kick in the gut every month, but I won't take that away from him."
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- How to rear money-smart kids
- Which county in Utah has the least poverty?
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- What increasing rent costs mean for the urban...
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- Dave Ramsey says: Invest in growth stock...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 43
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 11
- Balancing act: French ban on... 8
- U.S. 'tax freedom day' is 3 days later... 4
- What increasing rent costs mean for the... 3
- Photo gallery: Students learn the ABCs... 2
- College football, basketball athletes... 2