Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
RENO, Nev. — The Bees could not hold an early lead, as the Reno Aces came back for a 9-3 win over Salt Lake on Tuesday night.
Salt Lake grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first on a run-scoring ground out by Efren Navarro and an RBI double by Luis Rodriguez, but Reno came back to score six runs in the second to take control of the game.
After Josh Wilson tied the game with a two-run homer, Tuffy Gosewisch, Tyler Bortnick and Brad Snyder delivered back-to-back-back doubles to take a 4-2 lead.
Chris Owings and Mike Jacobs added RBI singles to cap off the inning.
Navarro led off the fourth with his sixth home run of the season, but Reno answered with three runs in the bottom of the fourth to put the game away.
A.J. Schugel (4-6) took the loss, as he went just three and one-third innings and allowed all nine runs on 10 hits with four strikeouts and one walk.
The Bees' bullpen of Jeremy Berg, Buddy Boshers and Daniel Stange combined to throw 42?3 scoreless innings.
Navarro led the Bees with three hits, as he stretched his hitting streak to 10 games, and one run batted in, but Kole Calhoun went 0-for-4 to snap his 11-game streak.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48