In 1937, Wilford C. Wood of Bountiful made the first partial acquisition of the property where the Nauvoo Illinois Temple once stood. Wood made at least seven purchases over a period of about 15 years in order to get back the four acres on which the temple once stood.
President Gordon B. Hinckley presided over The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when the decision was made to rebuild the Nauvoo Illinois Temple, break ground, lay the cornerstones and build the sacred structure. He dedicated the rebuilt temple on the exact site of the first temple on June 27, 2002, the 158th anniversary of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.
The exterior dimensions of the rebuilt temple are almost identical to those of the original temple. The interior is quite different, but it also affords temple blessings to the Saints as the original temple did. Two images show the temple during the period of construction.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2