Twentieth Century Fox, Gemma La Mana, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy brought "The Heat" against Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx at the box office.
The Fox action-comedy starring the funny ladies as mismatched police detectives earned $40 million in its opening weekend, topping the $25.7 million debut haul of Sony's "White House Down," according to studio estimates Sunday.
"White House Down," which features Tatum as a wannabe Secret Service agent and Foxx as the president, came in fourth place.
Disney's animated prequel "Monsters University" remained the valedictorian in its second weekend, earning $46.1 million in the top spot at the box office.
Paramount's zombie drama "World War Z" also took another bite out of the office in its second weekend with $29.8 million in third place.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4