J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
Conservatives demand border security before any amnesty. Democrats and many Republicans alike say the new immigration bill does exactly that with its promises of more agents, technology and fencing. It's a ruse because discretion is given to the Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, to decide what provisions in regard to fencing and technology is implemented, and she is already on record saying that the border is secure now.
Such promises have been provided to sucker Republicans and get their way. Of course Napolitano is not going to secure the border, and anyone who thinks she will is foolish, including our own Sen. Orrin Hatch, who supports the bill, a bill also larded up with pork for the constituents of Sen. Harry Reid and Sen. Bernie Sanders. We'll now see how majority leader John Boehner deals with the bill in the House. I doubt he will stand up for conservative principles and will instead fold to the leftists again.
Salt Lake City
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Jay Evensen: Unfortunately, Canada may never...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 73
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26