Rivers was greeted in Playa Vista by a huge Hollywood media contingent, baffling a few longtime Clippers employees used to toiling in the glitzy Lakers' shadow. With each passing month, the Clippers are stealing the spotlight from the 16-time champions who share their hallway at Staples Center.
"I don't understand what the fuss is," Roeser said with a laugh. "It's not even the first time we gave up a first-round pick for Doc."
Roeser referred to the 1991 trade that brought the veteran point guard to the Clippers for one season in 1991-92. Rivers wore Los Angeles' No. 25 jersey that year — the same number on the ceremonial jersey he held Wednesday to herald his return.
Rivers' front-office title means he'll have a say in the Clippers' personnel moves, but Rivers clearly indicated he's only one part of a decision-making team including Roeser and Gary Sacks, their vice president of basketball operations.
"I think titles don't mean that much," Roeser said. "What matters is we're going to sit down together and find a way to make this team better."
Roeser confirmed the Clippers won't be making any player transactions with Boston in the near future, but said the Clippers "will be active in the free-agent market." A reunion between Rivers and Kevin Garnett in Los Angeles remains unlikely after the NBA banned any potential trades including both men, but Rivers seems confident the Clippers already have enough talent to be even better.
"That's the only reason I'm coaching, is to try to win titles," Rivers said. "We've got to prove we can win a series first."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27