PROVO, Utah (June 26, 2013) BYU and USC today announced a three-game series for the 2019, 2021 and 2023 football seasons. The Trojans will visit LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 14, 2019 and then host the Cougars at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on the Thanksgiving weekends in 2021 (Nov. 27) and 2023 (Nov. 25).
We have a huge number of Cougar football fans in Southern California who will love having a chance to see their team play twice against one of the best programs in all of college football, said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. Cougar Nation will also be excited to have USC come to Provo.
The two teams have met just twice in the past, with USC taking both contests during national title runs in 2003 and 2004.
USC is one of the most decorated football programs in NCAA history. Beginning football in 1888, the Trojans have amassed a record of 786-320-54, No. 9 among all college football programs. USC has won 11 recognized national titles and has suffered only three losing seasons since 1961. USC has captured 38 conference titles, including seven-consecutive shared or outright Pac-10 titles from 2002-2008. This gives the Trojans the fourth-most conference championships of any NCAA school, and twice as many as any other Pac-12 member team.
Since 1972, BYU ranks No. 5 in total wins with 357 while USC sits at No. 11 with 340. The Cougars have faced teams from the Pac-12 Conference 16 times under head coach Bronco Mendenhall and have earned a 9-7 record since 2005.
The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, with its 93,607-seat capacity, is one of the largest college football venues in America. Since its construction in 1923, the Coliseum has not only been home to USC football but also hosted numerous cultural, civic and athletic events, including the 1932 Olympic Games, along with the track events and opening and closing ceremonies of the 1984 Olympic Games.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 65
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24