Rep. Nancy Pelosi famously stated we have to pass Obamacare to know what's in it. Here we go again with a 1200 page immigration bill. Most sensible citizens of our country have a better idea. How about finding out what's in a proposed law before you vote on it?
I would propose a requirement, enforceable by law, if necessary, that all lawmakers read every word of a proposed law before they are allowed to vote on it. I would further require them to pass a basic comprehension test to see if they understand the key points. Not read, not understood, can't vote. Those lawmakers who can't read would be allowed to have someone read to them, explaining the big words as they go along.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our year-end...
- About Utah: Jen Seelig came to Utah and made...
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Drew Clark: Ebola, cybersecurity and...
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 38
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 31
- Letter: Distance from religion 31
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 20
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices... 13