Rep. Nancy Pelosi famously stated we have to pass Obamacare to know what's in it. Here we go again with a 1200 page immigration bill. Most sensible citizens of our country have a better idea. How about finding out what's in a proposed law before you vote on it?
I would propose a requirement, enforceable by law, if necessary, that all lawmakers read every word of a proposed law before they are allowed to vote on it. I would further require them to pass a basic comprehension test to see if they understand the key points. Not read, not understood, can't vote. Those lawmakers who can't read would be allowed to have someone read to them, explaining the big words as they go along.
- John Florez: Utah public education is a house...
- In our opinion: How committed are Obama, U.S....
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Catherine Rampell: Have America's public...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- In our opinion: The Scots have set an example...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 93
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 76
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 37
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Richard Davis: Scots — Be brave,... 25
- In our opinion: Accountability,... 25
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who... 24
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19