Under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith, the cornerstones for the Nauvoo Temple were laid during a grand ceremony on April 6, 1841. The walls of the temple were only about half way up when Joseph Smith was killed in 1844. Brigham Young urged the Saints to keep working on the temple.
Though never fully finished, various parts of the temple were used by the Saints for a short time. This was the case with the temple font and third floor, in which nearly 5,600 people were endowed before Brigham Young and the Saints were driven from Nauvoo.
These images show the rebuilt Nauvoo Illinois Temple and stone from the original temple, both loose and in the old Nauvoo jail, which is still standing.
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 37