Friday's air quality story quotes Dave McNeill of Division Air Quality: "We are so far past desperate....with growth the problem is only going to get worse... We're supposed to add another million people by 2040, and those people are not going to come pollution-free" ("Utah air quality regulators 'past desperate' to find new ways to shave pollution," June 20). McNeill gets it. Unfortunately Herbert, McAdams, Wasatch Choices 2040 and most others do not.
Yes, we can do a bit to "shave pollution," but the fundamental problem is growth — growth in population and growth in economy. The "solution" to air quality is to not add a million people by 2040, and to not grow the economy along the urban Wasatch Front. Let it grow elsewhere. We need to demand some reality. Our leaders need to have the guts to talk about what they surely understand or they need to be replaced with those that do have the guts and the understanding. The valley is finite and polluted. Don't make it worse.
Salt Lake City
- My View: What I learned about air pollution...
- My view: Has Utah's new election law created...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Let us praise GDP
- In our opinion: The special session supports...
- My view: History of abolitionists teach us an...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Goodbye, Rickey Smith
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 60
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 46
- My View: What I learned about air... 26
- My view: Has Utah's new election law... 22
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 19
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 17
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout... 16
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 16