DOMA, other landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court decided today that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- Letter: Moral decline
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- About Utah: High time for a peaceful revival
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- Socratic observations — Society cannot...
- Letter: Moral decline 81
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 80
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 48
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 39
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28