DOMA, other landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court decided today that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Identifying...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 68
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23
- Letter: Voting like a liberal 22