DOMA, other landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court decided today that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: EPA failed its protection...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- Letter: Stimulate the economy
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- My view: European view of American soft power
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid with a...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 55
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 45
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 42
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship... 41
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 35
- Letter: Earning his votes 31
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools... 24