DOMA, other landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court decided today that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- In our opinion: The lesson of international...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 51
- Is it time for our first woman president? 24
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 20
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- Letter: Leave public land alone 14
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 13