DOMA, other landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court decided today that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- David Butterfield: Utah boxing legends...
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- Fredric Rolando: U.S. Postal Service still...
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts bank...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- John Florez: Teach our children the love of...
- Letter: We can do better
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 55
- Letter: Fair living wage 33
- In our opinion: Time to separate food... 25
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 19
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 17