Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Bees scored all six of their runs in the final three innings on Sunday afternoon, as Salt Lake rallied for a 6-3 win over the Las Vegas 51s.
The Bees trailed 1-0 in the seventh when Tommy Field singled. Trent Oeltjen bunted back to the pitcher Gonzalez Germen, who threw the ball into centerfield. Field scored the tying run when Luke Carlin grounded into a double play.
Las Vegas regained the lead with a run in the bottom of the seventh, but Salt Lake came back to score four in the eighth to take a 5-2 lead.
Andrew Romine led off with a walk and moved to third on an errant pickoff throw by Sean Henn. He scored the tying run on a triple off the wall by Kole Calhoun.
One out later, Calhoun scored the go ahead run when Las Vegas third baseman Eric Campbell threw Luis Rodriguez' ground ball over the first baseman's head. Field followed with a two run homer to cap off the inning.
Rylan Sandoval homered to make it 5-3, but the Bees plated an insurance run in the ninth on an RBI single by Romine.
Dustin Richardson (1-0) struck out the only batter he faced to pick up his first win as a member of the Bees. Ryan Brasier worked the final two innings to earn his ninth save of the season.
Field led the Bees with two hits, two walks and two runs batted in, while Calhoun added a pair of extra base hits, one double and one triple, with one RBI, as the Bees have now won seven of their last eight games.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28