There was a time when local property taxes paid for garbage collection, sewer services, sidewalk replacement, library services, fire protection, street lighting, road repair and replacement, etc. Now, one by one, these services are being funded by add-on fees. Soon we'll have a special fee for the air we breathe.
For years the city has been shortchanging the road budget to fund other projects.
Rather than increasing taxes and fees, why not reduce the scope of city programs, services and personnel?
Salt Lake City
- Greg Bell: Too many steering wheels in Utah's...
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the result...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- In our opinion: Inconsistency in school test...
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Letter: Buy American