There was a time when local property taxes paid for garbage collection, sewer services, sidewalk replacement, library services, fire protection, street lighting, road repair and replacement, etc. Now, one by one, these services are being funded by add-on fees. Soon we'll have a special fee for the air we breathe.
For years the city has been shortchanging the road budget to fund other projects.
Rather than increasing taxes and fees, why not reduce the scope of city programs, services and personnel?
Salt Lake City
- Peter Morici: UK should leave the EU
- Jay Evensen: Can Chaffetz fix the Postal...
- Letter: No mandate
- Richard Davis: Is this election 1964...
- A. Scott Anderson: Young entrepreneurs show...
- Letter: Consumer contracts
- My view: Fossil fuels, hypocrisy and moral...
- Natalie Gochnour: Count My Vote victories