There was a time when local property taxes paid for garbage collection, sewer services, sidewalk replacement, library services, fire protection, street lighting, road repair and replacement, etc. Now, one by one, these services are being funded by add-on fees. Soon we'll have a special fee for the air we breathe.
For years the city has been shortchanging the road budget to fund other projects.
Rather than increasing taxes and fees, why not reduce the scope of city programs, services and personnel?
Salt Lake City
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- In our opinion: Airport expansion reflects...
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious...
- The complicated political views of...
- In our opinion: History will remember our...
- 3 modern Utah heroes who exemplify pioneer...
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and the...
- Letter: Breeding hate
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court... 104
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 59
- Letter: Gun control 57
- My view: Amnesty towards border... 55
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Society values 45
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 39