There was a time when local property taxes paid for garbage collection, sewer services, sidewalk replacement, library services, fire protection, street lighting, road repair and replacement, etc. Now, one by one, these services are being funded by add-on fees. Soon we'll have a special fee for the air we breathe.
For years the city has been shortchanging the road budget to fund other projects.
Rather than increasing taxes and fees, why not reduce the scope of city programs, services and personnel?
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 75
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 40
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32