There was a time when local property taxes paid for garbage collection, sewer services, sidewalk replacement, library services, fire protection, street lighting, road repair and replacement, etc. Now, one by one, these services are being funded by add-on fees. Soon we'll have a special fee for the air we breathe.
For years the city has been shortchanging the road budget to fund other projects.
Rather than increasing taxes and fees, why not reduce the scope of city programs, services and personnel?
Salt Lake City
- Kathleen Parker: True or not, Bill Cosby...
- In our opinion: Don't make Hagel a scapegoat;...
- Letter: New slavery
- Michael Gerson: The big 'but' — Obama's...
- SNL takes on Obama's executive order
- Letter: What this issue is really about
- Robert J. Samuelson: U.S. has a hybrid system...
- Letter: Hooray for the initiative