SPRINGVILLE — Brandon Hargett's short birdie putt on the final hole lifted the 41-year old Springville resident to a two-shot come from behind victory over Devon Purser in Sunday's final round of the Art City Amateur at Hobble Creek Golf Course.
Hargett's two-putt birdie on the final hole came after he trailed his first-round co-leader Purser by one shot after both played the par-three 16th. Purser rolled in a four-foot birdie on the 16th to take a one-stroke lead with two holes to play. Purser bogeyed and Hargett parred No. 17 as both headed for the final hole tied.
Purser four-putted the par-5 18th after aggressively running by his eagle putt by the hole two feet when he had the advantage on the green over Hargett, who also putted for eagle.
Hargett finished 67-66 for an 11-under, 133 on the par-71 layout. Purser finished second at 135 followed by Clark Rustand, Mike Jurca and Tommy Forsman who finished three shots back at 136.
"I played very well but Devon came at me hard today," said Hargett, who has been runner-up at Art City several times in his career. "This feels very good, it feels great."
Purser, a BYU golfer who transferred this summer to Weber State, said he simply hit his eagle putt too hard on the final hole and it put him in a tough must-make situation with a downhill putt.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 114
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 32
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21