SPRINGVILLE — Brandon Hargett's short birdie putt on the final hole lifted the 41-year old Springville resident to a two-shot come from behind victory over Devon Purser in Sunday's final round of the Art City Amateur at Hobble Creek Golf Course.
Hargett's two-putt birdie on the final hole came after he trailed his first-round co-leader Purser by one shot after both played the par-three 16th. Purser rolled in a four-foot birdie on the 16th to take a one-stroke lead with two holes to play. Purser bogeyed and Hargett parred No. 17 as both headed for the final hole tied.
Purser four-putted the par-5 18th after aggressively running by his eagle putt by the hole two feet when he had the advantage on the green over Hargett, who also putted for eagle.
Hargett finished 67-66 for an 11-under, 133 on the par-71 layout. Purser finished second at 135 followed by Clark Rustand, Mike Jurca and Tommy Forsman who finished three shots back at 136.
"I played very well but Devon came at me hard today," said Hargett, who has been runner-up at Art City several times in his career. "This feels very good, it feels great."
Purser, a BYU golfer who transferred this summer to Weber State, said he simply hit his eagle putt too hard on the final hole and it put him in a tough must-make situation with a downhill putt.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48