Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Chris Nelson hasn't disappointed in his current stint with the Salt Lake Bees.
In fact, the third baseman has nabbed five hits, two home runs, and four RBIs in 15 at bats since joining the team June 13. Nelson finished Thursday night's 8-4 victory 1-for-5 with an RBI.
"As you can see, he is starting to get his timing back a little bit," said Bees manager Keith Johnson. "He was with the big league club, had a few at bats but sat around a lot. Once he went through the process of getting sent to us … it was sitting at home for a couple of days."
Nelson was sent to Salt Lake to replace original third baseman Luis Jimenez, who is on the Disabled List with a right shoulder sprain.
Jimenez has been the anchor for the Bees at third base this season, compiling a .900 fielding percentage in 28 games for Salt Lake. The Dominican born Jimenez was rewarded in early April, when the Los Angeles Angels plucked the third baseman for a month long stay with the major league club.
Nelson gave the crowd shades of Jimenez Thursday night, delivering a rocket to first baseman Efren Navarro to complete the double play in the bottom of the fifth inning.
"That was a great play," said Johnson. "Just instinctual. That ball was hit and he was already thinking about going across the diamond without any hesitation."
Johnson also didn't hesitate to praise Nelson's batting habits, which have been highlighted by a pair of home runs in the current series.
"Even at the plate you can see what he brings to the table. As soon as he gets to about that 40 or 50 at bat mark, things are really going to start to take off for him."
NOTEBOOK: Barry Enright moved to 3-3 on the mound Thursday night, picking up the win despite giving up four earned runs on seven hits. Enright also gave up back-to-back home runs, but struckout six Sacramento batters in the seven inning outing.
ATTENDANCE: 11,147 baseball fans were on hand to cheer the Bees to victory at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: TheConner88
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45