Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Chris Nelson hasn't disappointed in his current stint with the Salt Lake Bees.
In fact, the third baseman has nabbed five hits, two home runs, and four RBIs in 15 at bats since joining the team June 13. Nelson finished Thursday night's 8-4 victory 1-for-5 with an RBI.
"As you can see, he is starting to get his timing back a little bit," said Bees manager Keith Johnson. "He was with the big league club, had a few at bats but sat around a lot. Once he went through the process of getting sent to us … it was sitting at home for a couple of days."
Nelson was sent to Salt Lake to replace original third baseman Luis Jimenez, who is on the Disabled List with a right shoulder sprain.
Jimenez has been the anchor for the Bees at third base this season, compiling a .900 fielding percentage in 28 games for Salt Lake. The Dominican born Jimenez was rewarded in early April, when the Los Angeles Angels plucked the third baseman for a month long stay with the major league club.
Nelson gave the crowd shades of Jimenez Thursday night, delivering a rocket to first baseman Efren Navarro to complete the double play in the bottom of the fifth inning.
"That was a great play," said Johnson. "Just instinctual. That ball was hit and he was already thinking about going across the diamond without any hesitation."
Johnson also didn't hesitate to praise Nelson's batting habits, which have been highlighted by a pair of home runs in the current series.
"Even at the plate you can see what he brings to the table. As soon as he gets to about that 40 or 50 at bat mark, things are really going to start to take off for him."
NOTEBOOK: Barry Enright moved to 3-3 on the mound Thursday night, picking up the win despite giving up four earned runs on seven hits. Enright also gave up back-to-back home runs, but struckout six Sacramento batters in the seven inning outing.
ATTENDANCE: 11,147 baseball fans were on hand to cheer the Bees to victory at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: TheConner88
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 61
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 50
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 50
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49