Overtime was a complete mess for the Spurs, who scored only five points and nothing in the final 2:42. Parker missed all four of his shots and a free throw. Duncan missed his only shot, a running layup. Ginobili had two turnovers in the final 45 seconds.
Not the stuff the Spurs built their proud franchise upon. Certainly not the way they earned four championships since 1999.
Several Spurs players went to dinner after the game ended in the early hours of Wednesday. It wasn’t all doom and gloom. Parker told a been-there, done-that story of being on the French national team and losing a seven-point lead with 35 seconds left in the European Championship.
Food is presumably more enjoyable after winning a championship trophy, but Duncan thought the get-together served a purpose.
“Yeah, it helped,” he said Wednesday afternoon. “The other option is a bunch of us go back to our rooms and sit in our rooms and sit there by ourselves and beat yourself up. So it’s always good to be around teammates and kind of get some stuff out in the open. We did exactly that. We’ll be ready to rock.”
They better be really, really ready to rock. No NBA team has won a Game 7 on the road in the Finals since Washington in 1978.
Fittingly, Allen was the last player to talk to reporters after Game 6. It was 1:21 a.m. Wednesday when he finished.
Who knows what will happen Thursday? Who really, truly knows?
©2013 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
PHOTOS (from MCT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27