NYT: Utah one of 6 states President Obama has avoided during time in office
Rich Pedroncelli, Associated Press
During his time in office, President Barack Obama has failed to visit six states — Utah, South Dakota, North Dakota, Arkansas, Idaho and South Carolina — at all, and he has only visited seven other states one time, The New York Times reported Wednesday.
"Obama's near-complete absence from more than 25 percent of the states, from which he is politically estranged, is no surprise, in that it reflects routine cost-benefit calculations of the modern presidency," John Harwood wrote. "But in a country splintered by partisanship and race, it may also have consequences."
A closer look at the president's travels during his time in office shows that he has visited Colorado 19 times, Florida 30 times, Iowa 18 times, Nevada 17 times and Ohio 39 times. Each of those states has one thing in common: swing state status.
Donna Brazile, an African-American Democratic strategist, said that every president should try to reach out to people who may not support them or their policies, and that Obama doesn't get high marks in trying to do so.
"There will be a chapter on reconciliation" when Obama's legacy is debated in books after his second term ends, Brazile said, but so far "that chapter doesn't have many paragraphs."
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18