NYT: Utah one of 6 states President Obama has avoided during time in office
Rich Pedroncelli, Associated Press
During his time in office, President Barack Obama has failed to visit six states — Utah, South Dakota, North Dakota, Arkansas, Idaho and South Carolina — at all, and he has only visited seven other states one time, The New York Times reported Wednesday.
"Obama's near-complete absence from more than 25 percent of the states, from which he is politically estranged, is no surprise, in that it reflects routine cost-benefit calculations of the modern presidency," John Harwood wrote. "But in a country splintered by partisanship and race, it may also have consequences."
A closer look at the president's travels during his time in office shows that he has visited Colorado 19 times, Florida 30 times, Iowa 18 times, Nevada 17 times and Ohio 39 times. Each of those states has one thing in common: swing state status.
Donna Brazile, an African-American Democratic strategist, said that every president should try to reach out to people who may not support them or their policies, and that Obama doesn't get high marks in trying to do so.
"There will be a chapter on reconciliation" when Obama's legacy is debated in books after his second term ends, Brazile said, but so far "that chapter doesn't have many paragraphs."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15